Thursday, May 6, 2010

Comparing Films

Ok I've tried over 10 times to watch Esther's Film in her class but it stops at 54 seconds everytime I've tried so I'm going to do this hypotheticallly. For my class, we had planned on filming about a group of delinquents who normally did not work hard in school, study for an exam that they will pass to show up their ignorrant teacher. With what we had filmed, I did not play a major role. I was merely an extra student who seemed uninterested in the teacher's tactics to ostracize the less motivated students in his class nor what he was actually trying to teach. In the beginning I had thought I wanted to play a bigger role in creating the film but for some reason the idea did not really catch my attention. I was not very interested in what our film was based off of. It might be because I had sat in on another class and helped with their "initial directing and scene-making" that I felt was more interesting and matter of fact more fun to be in. In that class I had my word of say and people to bounce ideas off of about their video and it seemed really interesting. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my own classmates but its just that their "idea" seemed so much more fun to bring to life. In the end I guess all I'm trying to say it that I felt that I played more of an active role in another class than I did my own based on my interest.

The message of the film for my class was basically just about a small group of underachievers who are thought less of what they really are that want to show up their teacher. They want to show their bias teacher that they are not the dumb quiet kids at the back of the classroom. They wanted to show him that if they really wanted to succeed in school they could, and they do this by passing all on their own that they were not expected to pass. When they were accused of cheating they passed the test yet again and that really just shows that the teacher needed a little knock on the head. It's not always the students that need to be "saved" it is sometimes the teacher that has a wall up in his/her mind that gives them a false point of view of school stereotypes. The film was meant to show teachers to not think less of certain students because of what they may lack but to see every student as an equal with equal potential and opportunities.
From personal opinion, not matter how much we will try to teach each other new perspectives of life and other people, one cannot change whats set in stone and that's human nature. All humans are the same. We may look different, wear different clothes or act different but we all think alike. Everyone shares the same bias and every is judgmental. Sure people can be judgmental in different ways but in the end we are all judging each other. We are no better than the people sitting next to us on the train. My mind is not better than yours and your mind is no better than mine. We all travel on the same train of thought.

Unlike the teacher/ savior films we watched, our film-to-be was like the flipside. It was the opposite. Instead of a teacher trying to prove him or herself worthy of the students attention, our film focused on a teacher whose drive was to pick on the less successful students in his class. The savior films focused on molding the roudy students into well behaved civilians in a calm and quiet environment. Whereas our film was to focus on rebellious students showing the teacher that he was a jerk but proving to him that they were intellectuals who did not blatantly flaunt their smarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment