Friday, February 5, 2010

Cool Art Project

My art project started out as a group project that involved many people. With many people come many ideas so I was not too sure if it was going to work out so I started on my own project. My work of art is actually an unfinished painting that I had started about a year ago. It actually holds the same concept as I had in mind when I first started. The idea that I chose to single out of the many cool poses was keeping your composure when things get tough. The re-start of my painting was actually triggered by my good friend, Dylan. I was having a lot of trouble figuring out what I wanted to do for the project since there were so many ideas going through my mind so I asked him to help me organize my thoughts. In the end he helped me come up with the final idea of my art project. When I thought about things getting tough I immediately thought about New York City and the chaos that circulates every second of every day of every year, etc. When thinking of NYC, the bombing of the twin towers was by far the most tragic event I could think of where a major part of the city’s heart was destroyed.

When people look at my art, I want them to see the picture as a whole and analyze it for themselves. I would like to see how my views are looked upon and seen differently. My ideas are definitely not the views of others and the inner networks of my mind obviously are no equal to that of someone else’s. When people see this I want them to feel it. I want there to be emotion. Some may hate it and some may like it but I really don’t care, I just want people to see it as it is. This was my portrayal of how what the twin towers where no able to see. I wanted to give the towers emotions or eyes of their own; I’m not sure how to explain myself. The towers are so cool and sleek and calm when there is such a mess revolving around them. The phrase “the city comes to life” takes a somewhat literal meaning here.

While illustrating the events of September 11th, 2001 there where moments where I just closed my eyes and tried to picture the day and how sad it was. Call me crazy but when I did so I felt like one of those people who enjoyed chaos. I was looking for the happy among all the terror. There were many people unaware of the attack outside of New York, some of them had to be happy. Ignorance is bliss. Everything led back to being calm and collected. I’m sure this strays a long, long way from what we spoke about in class about cool but I took one idea of cool and transformed it into something unexpected. This most definitely relates back to humans being composed when there are fights that break out. Not freaking out and making matters worse for yourself and everyone around you is positively awesome.

I feel that art is extremely cool. It is an outlet for people to express their feelings freely in whichever way they want without any judgment. Art is opinion. You cannot question ones opinion because it’s a thought, there is no need for evidence to back it up. You can argue a fact but never an opinion. Don’t question art as you wouldn’t question opinions. Get off the artists’ backs.

No comments:

Post a Comment